Sunday, January 2, 2011

Stories should be about saying what you mean and meaning what you say.




The truth is my daughter's hair is a mess, and something must be done about this.

The truth is I spanked my son last night for pooping in his pants. The truth is, I hate hurting and humiliating him. The truth is I once pondered researching, for my B.S. senior thesis, the link between toilet training and child abuse. This, before my own household became a laboratory. The truth is fear is hardly an effective motivator for anything.

The truth is bangs are cheaper than botox, and isn't botox short for "botulism" anyway? Why would anyone inject that junk into her forehead?

The truth is this country will never get out of debt. I suspect a long rearrangement is in the works. And the whole "jobless recovery" thing baffles me. A recovery for whom? And how? Where?

The truth is I am surrounded by beauty--beauty that invites enjoyment, and respect.

The truth is, love and pity don't soundly sleep together.

The truth is that when the appliance repair man tells you that your 13-year-old washing machine needs a new transmission for $695 + tax, you will probably go explore Lowe's or some other big-box sprawlhole for a new one that was assembled somewhere other than the USA, even though you remain haunted wondering whether or not it could be worth it to fix it and thus spare it from the other sprawling junkyard-hole with all the other trashed-out consumption.

The truth is money IS really just dirty green paper.

The truth is this is a center-right-leaning nation with penchants for what we call "rugged individualism" and "exceptionalism." The truth is, the higher you fly, the faster you fall. And John Wayne probably suffered from hemorrhoids.

The truth is not so inconvenient.

The truth is sacred.

The truth will even set you free for real. I think.


No comments:

Post a Comment